Monday, September 25, 2006

Parental Love of God


(a small reflection on movie Big Fish)


There is no parent who wants their children to suffer in the future. It is said that a parent always does his best for his children. Certainly, this is in the parent’s point of view, but the children usually fail to understand that. It is what happened in Big Fish. Edward tries every attempt to do the best for his boy, Will. But, the best for Ed is not the best for Will. He fails in understanding his father’s good will. He always supposes that his father’s story of life is a useless lie until he himself understands his father’s reason for telling him a story. He realizes this right before he is becoming a father. He begins to understand the truth of what he has supposed as a lie and the use of what he has supposed as useless things.

Not all of what my parents told me and did for me is understandable to me. Sometimes, I really can’t understand why they did this or that for me. As I review my life, I find that many things are understandable after I grew up and when I was helped by such things. Then, I would feel very thankful, very lucky that my parents had done those things to me. For example, when I was a child, my parents used to ask me to help them in their daily work. As a child, I thought that it wasn’t my duty to do such work, but I did it. Then, as I grew up I realized that it was very useful. I became used to works hard, and I didn’t give up easily when I faced a difficult problem. And there are also many things that I had ever supposed as useless things, only to realizthat they are very useful things in my life. Such understanding makes me feel my family’s love toward me. They never said to me that they love me but through what they have done for me, I can see their love.

God is like my parents too. Occasionally, He loves me through such things that aren’t understandable to me. But He does love me. Every now and after, He ‘educates’ me in a way that I feel lika a fool in order to make me strong to face the problems in my life. When he educated me, I often complained about that or that I didn’t what He was doing. But, then when I was able to face many problems, I fell strong enough to stand alone. I feel God’s love. And, I find that most of God’s love comes to me through my parents. Thanks, God.

No comments: