Tuesday, September 26, 2006

TRUST

(a small reflection on movie I am David)


To trust is to give a secret or something important and valuable to someone else and to ask for the other’s responsibility for them. The reason for trusting others is that someone can’t do everything by himself. He needs other people to help him, and for that, he needs to be sure that these people aren’t going to betray him. But, others also need to be sure that this person is also trustworthy so that by helping him, he may also help them.

Regarding the need of human being to trust others and to be trusted, it is very important for everyone to prove that he is trustworthy. This effort has become the most important thing in the world since human beings realize that good relationship with other people is unavoidable and, in fact, absolutely needed. Even among criminals, there is also a need of trusting and being trusted.

Unavoidably, I was born into this world, where trust is valuable and esteemable. So, willingly or not, I must build my trustworthiness in order to survive and live better. This awareness has been nurtured since my childhood. My parents always admonished me whenever I proved to be untrustworthy. Since that time, becoming a trustworthy man has been my effort to help people and mainly to be helped by others.

Some people are dishonest and not genuine, especially when they put an effort to be trusted by others. They cover up their weaknesses and pretend to be perfect in almost everything. They hope people will trust them very much. Some people may trust them for their good appearance. But, once people know their authenticity, especially what they covered with boasts and pretences, people will not trust them any more. In the movie I am David, this kind of person was represented by the baker David met. Toward David, he pretended to be courteous and kind to cover his suspiciousness. He pretended to want to give David bread in order to give him up to the police. But, fortunately, David knew his lie and trusted him no more.

The movie I am David also showed an other way of being trusted. That is to be honest and genuine. One of the people included in this group is Sophia. She was really kind and nice in an unfeigned way. When she saw David, she told him her impression on him, whether it’s good or not. Knowing that Sophia was honest and unlike the baker wore no mask, he began to trust her bit by bit. Sometimes, like the baker, I also pretend to be good, nice and sinless to make people trust me. But, then I realized that it makes everything worse for people wouldn’t trust me any more if they know the truth. For me, the second way is the best and I will try to do so. I will be honest to people, especially to the Society, about my strengths and weaknesses. Besides, I will also try to cover my weaknesses, not by boasts and pretences but by hard effort to accomplish whatever people entrust on me. Then, it is up to them to trust me or not.

There are some people untrustworthy. But more people are trustworthy.

No comments: