Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Apostolate and Community Life

It has been more than three months since I joined the Musmos Cubao Apostolate. So, for me now it’s a good time to reflect how far I have been going and what I can get form this kind of apostolate. At first, I still couldn’t appreciate this kind of apostolate for there I can do nothing but playing with the kids and giving them the food we had cooked. But, being with them for three months, I learn many things from them and I feel that I had a good time playing with and talking to them.

At the first place, I learn that apostolate is not about giving something such as lecture or catechism, but mostly about being there (presence) and learn from those we are with. When one of us once was absent from this apostolate, many of the kids asked about him. They missed him so much. From that, I learn how important is our presence there for the kids. It makes me think and reflect on my community life that in community life I often neglect to pay attention whether someone is present or not. I usually ignore this important aspect of building a better community life. The problem is that I only pay attention on myself.

Secondly, I learn about fear and worry. At the first time I came to Cubao and meet the kids, I feel that they were so nice. They can easily go with me and they asked me to play with them as if they had known me for a long time. They have no fear, no worry, and no suspiciousness, whereas I was so afraid at that time that I wouldn’t be accepted in that area (Cubao). It makes me reflect also that often I still have fear and worry if I am going to be in a new community, and have suspiciousness when I meet new faces. That’s not the way of Jesuits for Jesuits must be available to be sent to any place at any time.

Thirdly, I learn something from our collaboration with the Musmos Group. Sometimes, after the kids were gone, we had some sharing. In this sharing, we usually share our burden, difficulties, haplessness, or desolation and our happiness, joy, or consolation as well. By this kind of sharing, we can confirm and encourage each other in order to give and receive, to lighten and to be lightened. This is also one aspect that should be in community life. To build a better community life, sharing meeting are needed, especially in order to lighten and be lightened.

The last, it’s not fair if I really do nothing or make no attempts for the kids in my apostolate. So far, I have learnt some Tagalog words and I want to learn more in the next semester so that I can talk and communicate more to the kids. That’s effort from my side, so that I can give but in the same time also receive.

No comments: