Saturday, November 11, 2006

The Importance of Knowing Who I am

(a small reflection on movie The Importance of Being Earnest)

For years I have been trying to discover who I am because it is very important to help me make important decisions in my life. By knowing my deeperself I can distinguish more clearly whether a desire comes from my psychological needs or my good will. To tell you who I am isn’t an easy task for me, not only because I am quite an introvert but also because I haven’t known my personality completely.

I know myself firstly from the people around me who keep telling me who I am. Some first impressions are that I am a quiet person, not talkative, shy and passive to begin any conversation, and not at all friendly. That’s true. The first time I meet a person, I will be like that. In fact, the impressions of my old friends tell more accurately my personality. For them, I am humorous, funny, friendly, faithful, smart, eager to help others, easy to forgive, patient but lazy, nervous and shy. What people tell me about what I am makes me recognize myself and reflect on it. If it is good, I will try to maintain it, but if it is not so good, I will make it better.

People around me help me to recognize myself better and to ameliorate my weak point. I am what people tell me because some of these suppositions are true and because they help me to reduce my bad character.

I was born with my unique appearance and character which make who and what I am. Therefore, I have my own characteristics, some of which I have known for some time. I am an ambivalent person, shy at first, but friendly later on: sometimes, prefer being lonely, while in other times want to be with my friends. I am a lazy person who prefers doing trivial things more than important one, but I am sometimes eager to work hard. I am a humorous person although sometimes I can be serious.

As I reflect on what I have encountered about my self, I find that I can show different characteristics according to the situation which I am in and my intention when aiming for goal. It’s not a deviation but an adjustment so that I can go with the situation. In different situations, I need to adjust my attitudes and behaviors in order to be able to have a dialogue with the particular situation. In mission, this adjustment is also needed for more effective ministry and satisfactory result. Different kinds of characters don’t mean that I have a split personality or I am full of pretence. As I reflect on it, it is an ability to adjust myself appropriately according to the situation and people I am with. But, I must acknowledge that I also have a tendency to wear mask in front of those who have legitimate positions, such as formators or my superior. This is one of my weaknesses. I realize it and try to make it up as well.

No comments: