Tuesday, December 12, 2006

My Legacy

(a small reflection on movie Mr. Holland's Opus)


In the movie, Mr. Holland wants to make a great symphony that he hopes will be well known by the world and place his name among the famous composers. But, it seems that it will never happen. However, his work as a teacher brings him to an understanding that he is a great composer of a greater symphony than what he hoped, that is his students. He was very successful in encouraging them to find their lives, their strengths, and their way in living out their lives. At first, he didn’t realize this particular legacy, for he considers it as his responsibility only as a teacher and not as great work.



I also have a desire that I will leave something behind when I leave this community. I hope that after I leave this community, its members will remember me, not for my faults, my mistakes or my bad habit but for my testimony, my good example, and my life here. I hope my life here can be an inspiration and a good example for the others. I want to live my life here according to the Jesuits’ way of life, so that I can help this community live its life better by not only giving good example but also, if it’s needed, by reminding them of our appropriate way of life as Jesuits.


The movie, Mr. Holland's Opus, reminds me that leaving a legacy or becoming popular is not the main purpose of someone’s life. The purpose of my life is to follow The Great Hand, which led me according to His will. It’s just like Mr. Holland, who unwittingly does God’s will through his teaching, which encourages his students to be confident in their lives. I reflect that what I am to leave for Arrupe should be like Mr. Holland’s legacy. He might try every attempt to leave behind a symphony as his legacy, but at last he realizes that his greatest symphony is his students. Therefore, I will do my best to leave something by knowing and realizing what God really wants me to leave to this community.


For now, I think I have done quite well during the first semester, but I realized that I can do better in the next semester, whether it is in community, study, apostolic or spiritual life. I hope that from this goal, I can find something I can leave behind to this community, not merely as legacy but mostly as a remembrance of me. So, I am not thinking of leaving any legacy but a memory that this community will always remember me by good things I did and I will do here.

No comments: