Tuesday, December 12, 2006

My Talent(s)

(a small reflection on movie Billy Elliot)


For me, Billy Elliot is an ideal example of a person who dares to be different in order to explore his talent and pursue his goal by doing something he considered right one. On the other hand, people tend to choose anything that people choose for them. He wants to make his father, his brother, his grandmother, and, of course, his mother happy. To do this, he can be a boxer and follow his father’s will. But, how about him? Will he be happy with his father’s choice? Realizing this, Billy changes his mind. He decides to be a ballet dancer since he found that there is where his heart and that is his talent. He is sure that becoming a ballet dancer will make him happy

God makes me for a purpose, which I am sure will be realized as a Jesuit. But, He also makes me for other purposes. However, up to now, I can’t find exactly what these purpose are. I realize that I am good and fast in learning something. I can learn something fast if my heart is really there. In other words, I really like it and look forward to it. For example, I have been learning the guitar for more than five years, but I have never really been able to play it. On the other hand, I have never learnt about the computer formally, and yet I did learn to use it by myself. Now, I have mastered some programs and know how to run them.


With some talents, and the certitude that I am called to be a Jesuit, I want to dedicate what I have for my Society. But, this is not that easy since I don’t know myself entirely. Sometimes, only others can see that I am good at something because I just do it without thinking that it is special. Therefore, what people have said about me makes me think about my talents and my defects, and I realize that there is something I can dedicate to my Society to realize purpose God made for me. Since I joined the Society, I have been training to know myself better, both my abilities and my defects, so that I may have a wider overview about myself.

When I was a child, I used to want to be a teacher. But, after I joined the Society, I have lost that desire. Now, I just want to be a humble priest in a small parish mostly because I am afraid that popularity may make me proud and haughty, yet I realize now that it is up to the Society about how I am to serve the Lord. From now on, I want to use my ability and talent, especially in academic field to learn many things in order to serve better. If the Society wants me to be a teacher as I had wanted to before, than I want to prepare it by studying and using my talents to the fullest.

God gives, but we must accept.

No comments: