Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Wounded Healer

(a small reflection on movie Fisher King)


Everybody has traumatic experiences or wounds, either painful or not. To live a better life, one must heal his wounds by accepting weaknesses, forgiving those who made the wounds, and feeling forgiven for his big mistakes. I am also a wounded person. It means I am a weak person. How can I help people while I myself need help? This question made me uncertain that I can help people with so many wounds in my life. But, then I reflect on Jesus’ life. He was wounded and killed but precisely it is by his wounds all human beings are healed. He is the wounded healer.

I realize that my life should be like Jesus’ life. I was wounded by my past experience but I have been healed by Jesus through his wounds. I was healed by integrating my wounds with Jesus’. And now, it is my mission to help people as I have been helped by Jesus through others.

Some people may have the same problems or traumatic experiences (wounds). It will easier for them to solve the problem or heal the wounds together. There must be people who have the same problem or wounds as mine. Once my wounds have been healed, I can help others who have the same or similar problem (wounds). By sharing my experience and my witness, we can also help each other conquer problems and heal wounds.

Jack and Parry were wounded persons. But, by their wounds they healed each other. From being weak persons, they become strong persons because they help each other. Each of them fills the emptiness in his friend and they become whole. Jack is less, Parry is less, but together they are more.

I also recognize and understand my ministry as a wounded healer. I helped others because I have been helped by others and I would be helped more by others. Every time I went to Cubao for Musmos postulate, I always had a great desire to help the children there find their meaning of life, forget their bad experiences and heal their wounds. I always hoped that I can really help them. But, then I realize that it is me who was helped by them. They healed also my wounds that I can forget my worries and enjoy playing with them. We helped each other because the children and I realize that we need each other. No one feels more important than others. Therefore, equality is also needed in making such relationship work.

No comments: