Thursday, September 28, 2006

It’s not About Knowing, it’s About Experiencing

Now Herod the tetrarch heard about all that was going on. And he was perplexed, because some were saying that John had been raised from the dead, others that Elijah had appeared, and still others that one of the prophets of long ago had come back to life. But Herod said, "I beheaded John. Who, then, is this I hear such things about?" And he tried to see him.


Herod only knew about Jesus from people saying who Jesus is. He didn’t’ know and experienced exactly who Jesus is, but he wanted to know who Jesus is. In catechism and Sunday school, I was taught and told that Jesus is the Good Shepherd, Bread of Life, the Way, the Truth and the Life, Jesus loves us, etc, but I didn’t really experience who Jesus is. For a long time, I had belived in people’s saying about Him. And I want to not only know but also experience who for me Jesus is.

Since I joined the Society of Jesus, I have been supposed to experience God. In my exposure, I always tried to experience God in many ways. I found that God for me is everything. He have been my friend, formator, savior, and companion, but in other hand, sometimes I feel he also disappoint me, make me angry or upset, and in a certain sense torture me only because I can’t understand his way of educating me. This new understanding and experience makes me realize that the true faith comes from this kind of experience, not from what people say. I experience God’s love after I recalled and encountered my past life and found that through my family and people surround me, He loves me.

No comments: