Sunday, October 08, 2006

Indefinite Formation

Today, Fr. Manny Flores, SJ and Fr. Ted Gonzales, SJ pronounced their final vows. It was a simple but great and solemn celebration led by Fr. Daniel Patrick Huang, SJ, the Provincial of Society of Jesus in Phillipines Province. In 1976, they joined the Society and only after twenty eight years, they finish their formations.

As I reflect on this occasion, I look at my vocation, and I see a long pathway leading to my final vows and to the end of my life. I cannot esteem how long my formation will be. Before my first vows, I was told that I was going to be sent to Pillipines for Juniorate program which means my formation wil be one year longer than thos in my batch who do not experience the Juniorate. That made me quite sad and upset, but I try to make up my mind that I might find new experinces in the Phllipines. It was four months ago. Now, as I reflect on my first three months here, I find that it’s not about how long my formation will be, but it is about how generous I am to the Society and the people, how deep I internalize the values and way of life of the Society, and how mature I am in study, apostolate, prayer and community life.

I belong to the Society though I haven’t wholly accepted, but maybe I havne’t had the sense of belonging to the Society. Therefore, formation will be my time to learn how to have this sense of belonging. Then as Fr. Manny said in his words after his vows, I can aslo say in my final vows that I belong to the Society and she belongs to me.

No comments: